[Snort-users] barnyard to db

Andrew R. Baker andrewb0x29a at ...131...
Thu Oct 4 09:15:02 EDT 2001

Barnyard is a generic output processing stage for snort.  It has a modular
output plugin system that is similar (but not identical) to the one found
in snort.  It reads data from the unified log/alert files (and actually
the stream4 binary output file) and calls the appropriate configured
output plugins to process the data.  The goal is to seperate the core
detection engine from any output process that could impact packet capture
(like performing SQL inserts).  It is valuable in both single system
sensors and distributed sensor enviroments.  In a distributed enviroment,
each sensor would have an instance of barnyard processing the local data
and sending it to a central console.

-Andrew