[Snort-users] ACID/SQL performance issues

Saad Kadhi bsdguy at ...1472...
Wed Oct 3 23:56:03 EDT 2001

On Wed, 2001-10-03 at 20:46, Jim Howard wrote:
> Hi folks, just wondered if there was anyone addressing the performance of
> the SQL calls from ACID.  I have a 200,000 entry snort database in MySQL.
> Of this, some 90k are from nimda infected machines (not my own thankyou.).
> I changed the timeout value from the default 30 seconds to 3600 (yes, 1
> hour), and it is still timing out when trying to manipulate this sql call.
> I am trying to take these records and move them to the archive database.  I
> also tried just plain deleting them.  Both fail.  I optomized all the tables
> before trying, as well.  I haven't added any of the optional indexes, as I
> am fairly new to MySQL, and haven't had time to look up how to add them..
> would this help?
>
> The machine is a P-II 350mhz with 256 meg RAM, running snort 1.8.1, MySQL,
> and ACID b13.  I saw one other post where the person wrote some of their own
> SQL, just to make sure it wasn't a problem in MySQL.  I really like the ACID
> interface, for presentation, and ease of use...  Is there anything we can do
> to increase performance?  I would be willing to donate some testing time if
> it would help.  I don't know a lot of SQL though.
>

> ACID .9.6b13
> MySQL Ver 11.15 Distrib 3.23.41
> snort 1.8.1
> adodb 1.12
You may want to upgrade to adodb 1.31. It fixes a truckload of pbs &
mainly w/ persistant connections. You can also try to turn on/off the
persistant connections option in acid_conf.php & see if that helps.
adodb 1.40 is out but didn't tried it yet.

--
/saad
[put your signature here]