[Snort-users] a user experience w/ Snort, ACID & (Postgre|My) SQL

Fraser Hugh hugh_fraser at ...2804...
Wed Oct 3 06:36:06 EDT 2001

PostgreSQL and MySQL are not the same animal. PostgreSQL is a complete
relational database with all the features (and overhead) that go with a full
db. MySQL lacks some of that functionality. One of the returns is better
performance. It's an acceptable solution in many cases. Out-of-the-box
Snort/ACID is one of those cases.

I've chosen to use Postgres because I've opted to add to the database schema
some additional tables, triggers and procedures to do things that aren't
included as part of the standard Snort or ACID applications, triggered each
time a new event is added to the database (control chart stats stuff and
exception reporting). There are other ways to do it...  I could have written
a new output plugin, for instance. But my overall goal is to do exception
reporting (ie. the sensors page me when an abnormal event occurs and point
me to it). While I think ACID is a great analysis tool, I don't want to have
to use it unless there's something I need to investigate, so blazing
performance isn't that important. Putting the logic for my enhancements in
the database seemed to be the most efficient way to do it.