[Snort-users] http_decode vs. alerts

Steve Halligan agent33 at ...187...
Mon Oct 1 13:17:03 EDT 2001

> I don't really care how I get there, but I'd like to get to
> the point where
> all my alerts go to the same place.  Can I apply my custom
> actions to the
> preprocessor?  Should I just remove the http_decode lines and
> just accept
> the fact that I'll miss Unicode-obfuscated attacks?  Is there
> another option
> that I've missed?

This brings up another question I have.  Does the data that the various
decode and defrag preprocessors decode or defrag get put through the
signature matching engine after decoding or defragging.  If so, way does the
http and unicode spp's have there own alerts that relate to stuff that could
be caught by a signature after decoding.  For example:

I send a http get like this:

GET /../../../winnt/cmd.exe

It would trip one of a number of signatures.   Directory Traversal, cmd.exe
access whatever.

I send a http get like this:

Get /..%5c..%5cwinnt/cmd.exe

It would decode it to:

GET /../../winnt/cmd.exe

Which would trip the same signatures as above.

But that is not what happens.  It trips an alert in spp_unicode and that is
it.  This spp_unicode alert cannot be altered, sent to a different alert
mech, or turned off without disabling the entire spp_unicode spp.  Why
doesn't it just decode it, and put it through the signature engine?  I
believe this is the way spp_defrag works.  It only sends up a special alert
of its own when something specifically relating to fragments happens.  The
reassembled packet is pushed through the signature engine like any other
packet for content checking.

-Steve