[Snort-users] Re: Wiring a "read only" cable (Joe Pampel)

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Fri Nov 30 06:09:06 EST 2001

No, this is neither a crossover cable, nor are pins 1 and 2 simply cut.

(I can easily see how colorblindness would make it difficult or impossible
to see that the wire colors of the sniffer cable match the normal one, not
the crossover one.)

This is a normal ethernet cable, with pins 1 and 2 shorted over to pins 3
and 6 on one side, normal wiring on the other.

I suspect this was done by cutting a small amount of insulation off of pins
3 and 6, and soldering in pins 1 and 2, but I'm sure there are other ways
to make the splice.

This is a pretty cool trick and looks like it will deal with the problem of
just cutting the TX wires on 100baseT (which causes the link to go dead and
you can't receive). I've not tried it, but it makes some sense to me why
this works, and I'll believe Josh that it does work.