[Snort-users] "SHELLCODE x86 NOOP" from presumably non dangerous addresses

Roberto Suarez Soto robe at ...3881...
Fri Nov 30 02:50:02 EST 2001

Hi,

	I'm receiving several "SHELLCODE x86 NOOP" alerts from addresses like
"law2-www.hotmail.com" and another one in akamai (presumably, one of those
used in ad banners: a62-41-13-32.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com). Is there a
non-paranoid explanation of what could be happening?

	I think that maybe the transmission of some gif/jpg or some attach
could trigger the alert, but I'm not very sure.

	BTW, we're using OpenSSH from a linux box to the linux sensor that
hosts snort, and the alert "EXPLOIT ssh CRC32 overflow filler" is triggered.
Any hint of what could be this? Just an over-sensitive rule?

	Thanks in advance.

--
Roberto Suarez Soto					Alfa21 Outsourcing
    robe at ...3881...				     http://www.alfa21.com