[Snort-users] SIGHUP vs comand line restart

Chris Green cmg at ...671...
Thu Nov 29 17:28:02 EST 2001

Fermin Galan Marquez <galan at ...3803...> writes:

> Hello,
>
> What is it more efficient, restart Snort with SIGHUP or
> killing+restarting from comand line?
>
> Therefore, is it posible (with a signal, maybe) to
> restart Snort without have to rebuild the chains (the
> two dimensional linked list used by the Detection
> Engine) from the rules files? I think that it would
> be more efficient.
>
> Thanks in advance.

In the current implemtation, HUP just execs argv over again so its
really only saving you from typing the command line again

This has been answered a few times in the archives
--
Chris Green <cmg at ...671...>