[Snort-users] Re: Wiring a "read only" cable

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Thu Nov 29 15:31:03 EST 2001

I think the 14 pin connector you are looking at is AUI, not a 100baseT
ethernet PHY connection. Perhaps you can point out where this diagram is on
silicondefense.com?

Also with 100baseT it is impossible to create a read only cable by just
cutting one or more pins of a twisted pair cable. The PHY layer sends short
bursts of test signal that are expected to be echoed back in order to
establish link.

Your best bet is to use an AUI adapter and cut pins on the AUI side. Of
course, this implies having a 100mbit ethernet card with AUI input (uncommon).

Baring that you can create a "denatured" ethernet cable where the TX+ and
TX- signals are not on the same twisted pair. This ruins the controlled
impedance of the pair, and introduces bit errors into the data. If the
denatured cable is the right length the short test bursts with make it
through fine but data packets will have errors in them and be dropped. This
process is not an exact science, but there is a website somewhere detailing
what can be detailed. I do not have the URL offhand.