[Snort-users] Re: Wiring a "read only" cable

Joe Pampel joe at ...3851...
Thu Nov 29 13:31:03 EST 2001

What am I missing here?

Trying to make a read only 100Base-T cable for a sensor and it has 8  pins - 4 pairs. So far so good.
www.silicondefense.com has a schematic showing 14 pins and cutting pins 3 and 10...

Can you see my confusion?  My understanding of this kind of connector is like this:
from : http://yoda.uvi.edu/InfoTech/rj45.htm

Pin Number Designations

   Color Codes for T568B
Pin     color  pair  name
---     -----  ---- ---------
1       wh/or   2   TxData +
2       or      2   TxData -
3       wh/grn  3   RecvData+
4       blu     1
5       wh/blu  1
6       grn     3   RecvData-
7       wh/brn  4
8       brn     4

This would indicate not crimping the Orange pair to pins 1 & 2. And of course if you're a wise-guy you put a splitter on the jack and plug an RJ-11 in and use the middle pair for a POTS line.. but anyhow... ;-)
Anyone else run into this?

ps: wiring sucks when you're color blind. :-)

- Joe