[Snort-users] restart code error RH 7.1

Madhav Diwan mdiwan at ...200...
Tue Nov 27 12:25:32 EST 2001

Yes you are correct no symlinks exist for anything snort related on my
machine.

thanks Chris.

Madhav

Chris Green wrote:

> "Madhav Diwan" <mdiwan at ...200...> writes:
>

> > but then again :  so does this :
> >

> > /usr/sbin/snort-plain -A fast -b -l /var/log/snort -d -i eth0 -c
> > /etc/snort/snort.conf -D
> >
> >  note i have two binaries snort-plain and snort-mysql in /usr/sbin
> >

> > Here is the problem !!!
>
> So the symlink was missing and/or broken.. hrm.
> >

> > WARNING : if you installed snort 1.8.1-current via tarball it places
> the
> > snort binary in /usr/bin/ and the SNORTD file calls only "snort" ..
> not
> > "snort-plain" or "snort-WHATEVER" .
> >
> >  you must manually edit the snortd file to call the particular binary
> > instlled by the rpm you want to use... Note edit  both the start and
> > stop cases
>
> Well, the rpm is supposed to fix the symlinks correctly but in the new
> soon to be released packages, I do believe I made a symlink fix that
> should always be executed.
>
> There should be a symlink from /usr/sbin/snort -> /usr/sbin/snort-mysql
> --
> Chris Green <cmg at ...671...>
> This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.  Wagner Weber & Williams