[Snort-users] Rule management

Jeff Dell jdell at ...1095...
Tue Nov 27 04:03:05 EST 2001

I have been working on a tool that does just this: IDS Policy Manager
www.activeworx.com. It does complete rule management for Snort. Yes,
this tool does reside on Windows 2k, but it handles rules for really any
os. One thing it doesn't presently have is automatic rule update. But it
does everything else. If that is something that is in high demand, it
should be easy enough to do.

To be honest with you, I watch how often the CVS rules get updated and
it only happens about once a week. If you modify your ids sensors more
then once a week, it is easy enough to just click a button to merge in
the new rules as you are modifying them. This way you know exactly which
rules were merged in and if you really want them enabled or not. I
personally have a hard time just updating the policy without me knowing
what changes have been made.

Jeff