[Snort-users] Snort on Linux Help

John Sage jsage at ...2022...
Mon Nov 26 08:18:02 EST 2001

David:

David Wilkeson wrote:

> I'm running Redhat which was preinstalled on a new Dell server.  libpcap
> was installed, but when it didn't work I removed it and installed
> various versions myself.

What "various versions"?

The only version worth bothering with is at: http://www.tcpdump.org/

and is libpcap-0.6.2.tar.gz

> None of them work.

What do you mean? They won't compile? They won't install?

They compile and install, but then what?

You *really* need to be more specific about what you've got, and what's
happening, for someone to be able to help you...

> Do some net cards not
> support promiscuous mode even when the syslog reports them going into
> promiscuous mode?

promiscuous mode isn't necessary for tcpdump/libpcap to "work" -- it
just lets you see more than you might otherwise..

If "ifconfig -a" says the particular interface you're talking about is
in promiscuous mode, I'd be willing to be that it *is*..

What's the output from "uname -a"?

What's the output from "tcpdump -V" if that's working at all...?

- John