[Snort-users] Snort on Linux Help

David Wilkeson davelist at ...4123...
Mon Nov 26 08:16:05 EST 2001

At 03:39 PM 11/21/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>I'll ask the dumb questions...
>
>1.  With Snort or your Ethereal running, does 'ifconfig' really show
>that interface as being in promiscious mode?

Nope.  However, when I type "ifconfig eth0 promisc" it goes into
promiscuous mode, but it doesn't change the output of ethereal or
snort.  So to recap, the syslog indicates the interface entering and
leaving promiscuous mode, but ifconfig does not report it in promiscuous
mode unless I manually put it into promiscuous mode.

>2.  You are running this as root or with root priveledges right?  I'd
>expect it to complain loudly if you weren't but figured I'd ask anyways.
>You do need root privs to put the NIC in to promisc mode and it sounds
>like syslog is reporting it as working. (but these are thee dumb
>questions)

Yes I am.

>3.  What brand of Linux?  RedHat? Debian? Suse?

Redhat, loaded by Dell.

>4.  With it running, do a 'netstat -i' (obsfucate your IP just to be
>safe), and send me the output.  I think '-i' works in linux...

Are you sure that's the one you want?  It really doesn't show much of
anything other than counters.

Dave