[Snort-users] Linux of FreeBSD

Michael Aylor maylor at ...1991...
Mon Nov 26 07:42:08 EST 2001

I can't site my sources (so don't hold me to this, this is just what
I've heard), but I believe BSD performed very slightly better than Linux
under high stress, but I've also heard that you can strip down linux to
perform as well if you know what you're doing.

My impression was that the performance difference between BSD and linux
wasn't big enough to warrent a mass migration to BSD.

Again, only what I've heard in the rumor mill....

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Olav Langeland [mailto:Olav.Langeland at ...2038...]
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001 9:18 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Linux of FreeBSD

I am seeking advice on what is best suited for Snort use, Linux or
FreeBSD. It will monitor either a dual E3 link (currently at 50%
capacity) or a single port producing about 30-40Mbit. Will Debian Linux
handle this kind of traffic without problem, or is FreeBSD a better
choice? The machine in question is P3-800, 512MB Ram and SCSI raid.
Thanks for any help.

--
Olav Langeland <> olav.langeland at ...2038...