[Snort-users] W2K log directory error

Jonny H uknowuluvituslag at ...125...
Tue Nov 20 07:57:03 EST 2001

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I've scanned through the archives
and the FAQ without any luck.

I'm looking to install Snort 1.8.2 as a HIDS on a W2k pro test machine
[before implementing it on servers].  However, each time I 'Test
configuration', I get the following error message:

Log directory = log
        --== Initializing Snort ==--
[!] ERROR: Can not get write access to logging directory "log". (directory
doesn't exist or permissions are set incorrectly or it is not a directory at
all)

Firstly, when installing Snort, it doesn't create a folder called log.  So I
created one, both in the Sourcefire and the Snort-1.8.2 folders.

Secondly, I've enabled full access for the everyone group, so I'm assuming
that it's not a permissions issue.

Finally, I've copied the default log file [alerts.ids.txt] to the log
folders, and subsequently changed the path in the Logs & Alerts section, all
to no avail.

I've tried installing on a different machine with exactly the same results.
Is this a bug with the Win32 version, or is there something basic that I've
missed?

Jon