[Snort-users] re: Professionalism

Jeff Nathan jeff at ...950...
Mon Nov 19 23:17:03 EST 2001

Mark Rowlands wrote:

> On Sunday 18 November 2001 1:54 am, Martin Roesch wrote:
>
> > and in the words of Jack  Nicholson "I have neither the time nor the
> > inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the
> > blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the manner
> > in which I provide it."
>
> This is the sort of unprofessionalism that gives  open source a bad name...
> they are  Aaron Sorkin's words not Jack Nicholson's, Aaron is a writer, Jack
> is a thespian.
>
> ;-)
>
> and if any one doesn't  remember, the speech ends...
>
> " Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to."

The only relevant point through this entire discussion is that there's
no accounting for what offends some people.  It's a free piece of
software and you're encouraged to do with it as you please (within the
freedoms allowed within the license).

If the name of the game is questioning professionalism I'd like to
remind the audience of a concept that seems to be eluding some of them.
Perhaps the greatest example of professionalism is developing a
technically superior system in your spare time and giving it away for
free.

-Jeff

--
http://jeff.wwti.com            (pgp key available)
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."