[Snort-users] Packet Loss on a NIC without TCP/IP bound

Michael Aylor maylor at ...1991...
Thu Nov 15 08:57:06 EST 2001

I run RH 7.1 using snort on a NIC without an IP address bound to it, and it
works fine.

Just make sure the interface is enabled/up'd (I think this is the ifup
command?)

Hope this helps.
Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Snort List [mailto:snortlist at ...125...]
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 10:13 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Packet Loss on a NIC without TCP/IP bound

Hello,

I assume that this problem is because there is not an IP address bound to
the NIC, but when I run Snort-1.8.1 on RH 7.1 Linux, kernel 2.4.13, on a NIC

without an IP address, it show 100% packet loss.  Are my assumptions right?

Thank you,
John

Snort-users list archive:

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

The information contained in this ELECTRONIC MAIL transmission
is confidential.  It may also be privileged work product or proprietary
information. This information is intended for the exclusive use of the
addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution [other
than to the addressee(s)], copying or taking of any action because
of this information is strictly prohibited.