[Snort-users] Professionalism

Ralf Hildebrandt Ralf.Hildebrandt at ...3909...
Tue Nov 13 23:06:01 EST 2001

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 09:31:14PM -0500, olliecat wrote:

> In my experience, the overwhelming reason for disqualifying open source
> software has been the lack of a support contract.  If you can't pay to
> get somebody on the phone 24x7 then its not a professional grade piece
> of software.  That is changing, slowly however.

Yep.

> Typically, before it ever gets to the support question, the software has
> already been given the once over by a technician comfortable with the
> technology it represents, and its evaluation.

A paradigm shift. With so called professional products, you have to believe
the documentation. Since you will not be integrated into the development
process (even as a watcher or commentator), you cannot know HOW exactly a
certain functionality is implemented.

This will cause misunderstanding or even failures.
The same thing won't happen with a "technician comfortable with the
technology it represents".

--
Ralf Hildebrandt                            Tel.  +49 (0)30-450 570-155
                                            Fax.  +49 (0)30-450 570-916