[Snort-users] Professionalism

olliecat olliecat at ...1409...
Tue Nov 13 18:34:05 EST 2001

In my experience, the overwhelming reason for disqualifying open source
software has been the lack of a support contract.  If you can't pay to
get somebody on the phone 24x7 then its not a professional grade piece
of software.  That is changing, slowly however.

Typically, before it ever gets to the support question, the software has
already been given the once over by a technician comfortable with the
technology it represents, and its evaluation.  By the time a senior
level person is notified the technician has already customized the
configuration for installation during testing, and likely removed any
'unprofessional' content.  I would expect this kind of procedure to be
fairly common practice.  While it may happen, I just can't see somebody
in the managerial ranks having or taking the time to look through a
configuration file.

Personally, if I was using software that was 'given' to me, especially
the caliber of this and other open source products, knowing the effort
somebody else put into making it happen, I could probably look the other
way when it came to somebody's humour.  One thing that open source might
also be teaching us is how to lighten up and not take things too
seriously :)