[Snort-users] Snort and StackGuard Compiler?

Ken Schweigert ken at ...4067...
Tue Nov 13 10:18:04 EST 2001

I am trying to build Snort on Immunix-7.0.  I have tried both 1.8.1-RELEASE and
1.8.2 and both produce the same error when I try 'make'.

I started with './configure --with-snmp --enable-flexresp --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql
--with-openssl' and eventually ended up with './configure' thinking my problems
were with the "extras."  The errors were the same each time I tried 'make'.

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I/usr/include/pcap  -DENABLE_SSL  -g -O2 -Wall -c snort.c
snort.c:2174: warning: preprocessing directive not recognized within macro arg
snort.c:2174: warning: preprocessing directive not recognized within macro arg
snort.c:2174: warning: preprocessing directive not recognized within macro arg
snort.c:2174: warning: preprocessing directive not recognized within macro arg
snort.c: In function `DisplayBanner':
snort.c:2168: undefined or invalid # directive
snort.c:2172: undefined or invalid # directive
make: *** [snort.o] Error 1

I opened snort.c in vi and these lines have to do with if WIN32 is defined then
print some text about WIN32 maintainers.  Since Immunix is a RedHat distro with
the packages built with StackGuard compiler, I can't see how it would think
that WIN32 would be defined.

I'm assuming that since this is early in the make, and is only generating code
to print to terminal, that this isn't a problem with missing libpcap or mysql
headers, but something with the compiler.  Please correct me if my assumption
is wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get Snort to compile with StackGuard?

Thanks.
--
-Ken Schweigert, Aspiring Network Administrator
Byte Productions, LLC