[Snort-users] Professionalism

Joe Smith shadowm4n at ...131...
Tue Nov 13 09:55:04 EST 2001

To the administrators of SNORT,

An excerpt from "classification.config" from the most
recent snort rules download.

config classification: kickass-porn,SCORE! Get the
lotion!,1

Regardless of your feelings towards porn, this is
beyond unprofessional.  It is this kind of needless
stupidity that makes it that much harder for real
professionals and those they report to to take snort
seriously.  I can tell you that, while I'm not female
and am not personally offended by these remarks, I am
professionally offended, and I've worked in
environments in which comments as "SCORE! Get the
lotion!" would be responded to with immediate
dismissal.

Please keep in mind that not all snort administrators
are recently-pubescent male twenty-something year
olds, and that such unprofessional commentary in your
program does not help the noble cause that is snort.
It hurts it.

Joe