[Snort-users] upgrade procedures/migration scripts

Burleson, Lee (IA) Lee.Burleson at ...1358...
Thu Nov 8 19:28:01 EST 2001

Greetings.

Has the community established solid paths for moving through versions of
Snort yet?  I'm speaking mainly to the DB output people here...
In particular, the snort DB schema and ACID counterparts need work at every
schema update.

I'm not sure how to approach this, since:
*  I'm not an expert in this area and could be missing something obvious
*  Users could be migrating from any previous schema, thereby adding
complexity to any automated methods

I do know that if no automated methods are currently in place, Transact-SQL
supports the logic that would enable it to make decisions based on the
existing schema version.  We already have separate SQL scripts per DB
platform, so it wouldn't be any more cumbersome (from a user's perspective)
to support multiple platforms.

If this makes _any_ sense, I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

- Lee