[Snort-users] newbie: Trouble installing mysql and Snort 1.8.1 on win32

Byron Kennedy snail945 at ...131...
Wed Nov 7 16:55:02 EST 2001

Hello-

I'm installing Snort 1.8.1 on winderz 2000 w/ mySQL
and ACID support following Michael Steele's article
here:

http://www.silicondefense.com/techsupport/winsnortacid_1.8.htm

I've run into 2 problems thus far following this
document:

1. After expanding the snort binaries
Snort-1.8.1-win32-MySQL-static.zip(per the section
"Installing Snort with MySQL" in the above ref'd
document) and moving the rules into the "rules"
folder, c:\snort\rules, i don't seem to have
libneNT.dll left in c:\snort.  Just curious why that
may be missing and if i should worry about it?

2. I continued on and have installed mySQL from
mysql-3.23.40-win.zip.  After confirming the
database,user, tables, etc have been created
(following the instructions in the paper above) i run
the command:

C:\Snort>snort -c c:\snort\snort.conf -I c:\snort\logs
-i2 (where interface 2 is the one I'm using w/ snort)

When running this i get the following error:

Log directory =

        --== Initializing Snort ==--

[!] ERROR: Can not get write access to logging
directory log.
(directory doesn't exist or permissions are set
incorrectly
or it is not a directory at all)

Fatal Error, Quitting..

I can confirm the directory c:\snort\logs is there
with "full" access currently set for everyone
(the default).

I'm sure I'm missing something easy in both of the
above problems.  Can someone help me?

thx.byron