[Snort-users] help improving time it takes to read compressed tcpdumps

Crow, Owen Owen_Crow at ...2639...
Wed Nov 7 10:31:05 EST 2001

It looks like snort does accept input from STDIN if you use the "-"
special file:

gzip -dc dumpfile.log.gz | snort -devr -

This is not mentioned in the man page for 1.7 or 1.8.2 and should
probably be added.  But it's old school Unix anyway.

At the very least, I would recommend than when you decompress to read
into snort, you leave the original compressed file in place to avoid
the re-compress step:

gzip -dc dumpfile.log.gz > dumpfile.log && \
	snort -devr dumpfile.log && \
	rm dumpfile.log

The zlip added to snort would be nice, too, like Ethereal does.

Regards,
Owen Crow
Systems Programmer (Unix)
BMC Software, Inc.