[Snort-users] snort 1.8.2 win-32 and icmp logging

Ian Melven imelven at ...3837...
Mon Nov 5 13:03:02 EST 2001

Hi everyone

I've been running snort 1.8.1 happily on windows 2000 for a couple of
weeks.

Today I upgraded to 1.8.2 . It seemed with 1.8.1 that using the command
line :

snort -A fast -b -cC:\snort\snort.conf -k -lc:\snort\log -N -o

that i only had packets written to the snort-*.log files that triggered
alerts
i.e. that had caused writes to the alert.ids files

I added the new rules, classifications, etc. when I installed 1.8.2
I checked *.rules and everything uses the 'alert' verb, there's nothing
with the 'log' verb... now I see my snort-*.log files growing rapidly..
they appear to be filled with ICMP packets ?

any ideas what happened here or more importantly how I ca get only
alerting
packets to be logged again ?

thanks
ian