[Snort-users] RST vs RST|ACK

John Benjamin Bradberry jbradberry at ...2147...
Fri Nov 2 08:57:03 EST 2001

A RST|ACK is created by a server when a connection request arrives and
no server process is listening.

There are only 2 times you should NOT see an ACK during 'normal' TCP:

On the first segment of a connection sent by a client
On RST segments used to abort a connection

Now, if you see a SYN|ACK from your server on TCP 27374, that's another
story!

RFC 793 is a good start [see section 3.4] but I think the Stevens text
is still the finest available.  Also take a look at the O'Reilly book by
Eric Hall.

Regards.

--
John Bradberry