[Snort-users] Repost: Syslog, but I don't want it

Joe McAlerney joey at ...47...
Thu May 31 17:45:10 EDT 2001

Well, nothing really comes to mind, but these are the steps I would
take.

1) Check to see if another snort process is running in the background.
Perhaps it is using -s.
2) Double and Triple check that "output alert_syslog" is not being used
in your configuration file or any files included in your configuration
file.  Grep for "syslog".
3) Try running snort without -D.  Same results?
4) Use a test config file with one rule in it:

	alert icmp any any -> any any (msg:"Test ICMP rule";)

   Ping some machines on your network.  Are the being sent to syslog?

5) Could there be output plugins in your original configuration file
that are somehow indirectly linked to syslog on your system?  It's a
long shot, but if the facilities they use are somehow communicating to
syslog as well, that could be the issue.

Any other ideas?

-Joe M.

--
|   Joe McAlerney     joey at ...155...   |
| Silicon Defense - Technical Support for Snort |