[Snort-users] Syslog trouble

Michael J Clark clarkmic at ...1016...
Tue May 29 14:09:44 EDT 2001

Hey guys,

Im sure this is an easy question but its been giving me trouble for a while.

I can't seem to get anything to log to syslog.  Logging is fine in the
directories (Im using 1.7).

This is the command line:  snort -i eth1 -D -s -l /var/log/snort

in snort.conf Ive tried output: alert_syslog: LOG_AUTH LOG_INFO

I have also tried without that and still nothing.  Im testing with the rule

alert any any any <> any any (msg: "STUFF: ";)

I'd like to see the alerts go to /var/log/messages.  My syslog.conf looks
to be ok.  Haven't changed it from the default (rh 7.1).

Please reply to my address as well (I use digests).  Thanks

Mike