[Snort-users] ruletype doesn't work at all ?!

chlang chlang at ...2054...
Sat May 19 01:33:16 EDT 2001

I tried to do the ruletype inside the snort.conf hoping to get more actions
in response.
"icmp destination not reachable" is not what I will react when it occurs,
just a log/alert is needed, so is "Login Incorrect"
but a backdoor attack must raise a redalert, that send a mail or a winpopup
to me....

but enabling ruletype doesn't work for me, here is what I do:

inside snort.conf
ruletype redalert
{
  type alert
  output alert_syslog: LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT
  output database: log, mysql, user=snort dbname=snort host=localhost
  output alert_smb: winhost.lst
}
and have a test rule inside local-lib:
redalert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"red-alert, test1"; content:"redtest1")

get nothing to my syslog, database, or any popup.
but it is working if I don't use any ruletype at all.

Did I forget something ? compile option ?
Thanks in advanced.

chlang at ...2055...