[Snort-users] Memory leaks

roman at ...438... roman at ...438...
Thu May 17 09:37:28 EDT 2001

Snort does indeed support debugging memory libraries such
as efence.  However in this case, efence won't help us since
this library only does fence-posting; checking for code which
overruns the boundary of a malloc, or code which attempts
to use memory which has been free-d (note: I definitely swear
by efence; it is so useful!).  As far as I can tell, the
central issue we are encountering is memory which is not
de-allocated.  Those, memleak checking libraries are not always
a panecea.  I've tried dmalloc with the Snort code, and it
would flag me on code which calloc()s, but does not free the
associated memory in the _same_ function.

Anyone have experience with any checker which might be
better? or perhaps a guru who can tweak dmalloc?

Roman