[Snort-users] logging question (-b or not -b)

Jones, Benny Ben at ...32...
Wed May 16 12:01:15 EDT 2001

I'm currently running snort with the -b command-line option.  I like
the time stamped tcpdump log files that it creates; when I restart snort,
I get a new file whose name tells me when the log starts.

But I don't like the fact that it logs all the ICMP packets that
generate alerts.  I want to keep the alerts, but not log the packets.

Do I have to give up the time stamped filename of the log files if
I abandon the -b command-line option and create my own ruletypes
to deal with ICMP packets?  Is there some easier, perhaps more
obvious way that I'm missing?

TIA

Benny