[Snort-users] simple question on packet sizes

James R. Hendrick Jim_Hendrick at ...1998...
Tue May 8 15:14:42 EDT 2001

Hi,

When looking at the output of snort, there are several (basic) fields that I
need some help understanding:

IpLen
TcpLen
DgmLen
Len

I am trying to determine the number of bytes in packets (of various types,
mostly TCP) that make up "payload" vs. "header" for various services and
must simply be missing something obvious (need more coffffeeeeee).

The part that confuses me is that I see DgmLen in TCP packets as well as UDP
and TcpLen in UDP packets as well as TCP. Can someone help me understand
which fields I will see for which protocols and what they represent?

Thanks!

Jim