[Snort-users] Snort 1.8 more CPU intensive?

Martin Roesch roesch at ...1935...
Sun May 6 23:46:26 EDT 2001

Depends on a number of factors, including which preprocessors and output
plugins you're using.  Hard to say without more info, but the more
functionality you load the more CPU it'll take...

   -Marty

"Mayers, Philip J" wrote:

> Running snort 1.7 with the Whitehats rules, and snort 1.8 (CVS) from the
> 1.8-specific whitehats rules, 1.7 seemed to idle at about 50% on
> 10-100Mbits, and snort 1.8 at about 100% on the same load. Is this expected?
> RedHat 6.2 machine on a Sun Ultra 5. Disk IO is minimal, since I filter a
> lot out at the BPF point.
>
> Regards,
> Phil

Martin Roesch