[Snort-users] Clock Skew detected? Alpha, time Rift?

Neil Dickey neil at ...1633...
Thu Mar 29 11:52:25 EST 2001

"Chris N." <chris.northrop at ...406...> wrote:

>Recompiled snort now I'm getting a Time Skew error. Is
> this Like a rift in time? Is this why my time stamps are
> erratic, bouncing across time and space as we know it?

I have gotten errors like this when doing compilations on
an NFS-mounted filesystem and the clocks on the different
machines did not agree.  In unix, the "date" command is
a quick and easy way of checking the date and time setting
of a particular computer.

There are ways of synchronizing system clocks amongst unix
boxes; xntpd comes to mind on the Solaris platform.  You
may wish to look into this.  There are also internet-based
time servers, running atomic clocks, which can help you
keep your system clocks within a few milliseconds of bang-
on.

Does anyone *really* know what time it is?

Best regards,

Neil Dickey, Ph.D.
Research Associate/Sysop
Geology Department