[Snort-users] SNORT vs Firewall

Ed Padin ohdamnthathurts at ...131...
Tue Mar 27 12:19:37 EST 2001

From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net]On Behalf Of Lotlikar,
Sushant
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 11:34 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] SNORT vs Firewall

hi guys,

thanx for ur prompt help.

well i believe a packet filtering firewall works at the network level. most
packet filtering is done on the router. the drawback being that a packet
filter can't protect against spoofed attacks

i msut admit that i'm not very sure bout  a proxy firewall. i think a proxy
firewall is more like screening the traffic at the application level.
the drawback being that there have to be proxy versions for the protocols.

regards,
	sushant.