[Snort-users] Revised log rollover script

Neil Dickey neil at ...1633...
Thu Mar 22 18:24:21 EST 2001

___cliff rayman___ <cliff at ...1366...> wrote in response to me:

>is this for systems that are not equipped with logrotate?

I offered it for anyone who wants to use it, with or without
'logrotate.'

It was written to run under the Solaris flavor of unix, but I
presume it can be tweaked without much difficulty to run on
other platforms as well.

I originally wrote it quite a few years ago to meet a need on
our system, and have improved it as the fit struck me over the
years.  I didn't know about 'logrotate,' and found a way to get
what I wanted without it.  For some reason, it's always more
fun to work with tools you made yourself.  ;-)

'Logrotate' may be a perfectly fine program; I just haven't
found a need for it myself.

Best regards,

Neil Dickey, Ph.D.
Research Associate/Sysop