[Snort-users] Snort on a parallel machine?

John Kiehnle john at ...1477...
Mon Mar 19 13:33:48 EST 2001

Someone else is peeling my exact question... right to the core. Over the next
several years as bigger pipes, wireless networks, 64bit busses, greater
automation and new tools are developed to exploit vulnerabilities, It seems we
are eventually going to arrive at that critical mass where a single processor
snort IDS will not do the job. Things like Statistical Packet Anomaly
Detection, and their corresponding correlation engines, (thank you brothers in
arms at Silicon Defense) will put even our beefy snort boxes on their knees.
Some packet flood tools already seem to be able to overwhelm some "other"
vendor IDSs. ; )

My questions are;

is there any "parallelness" inherent in the snort IDS which lends itself to
being re-tooled to take advantage of a parallel machine?

Is there any reason for anyone to be thinking about this project yet?

John

John Kiehnle <john at ...1477...> http://www.mtspokane.net