[Snort-users] Output Plugins

John Kiehnle john at ...1477...
Sun Mar 18 03:47:15 EST 2001

Frank,

I'm not a Microsoft user,  but I'm gonna try anyway.

In Linux, when we set the syslog daemon to stream to a remote loghost, the
configuration includes two modifications outside of the snort config.

1.  A change in the /etc/syslog.conf file. syslog.conf tells the syslog daemon
what log files to use for the facility / priority combinations the admin has
set up. Do you have such a thing in NT? It is here that we specify the remote
loghost.

an example:
# this will stream all *.warn to the remote loghost listed below.

*.warn			@somehost.somedomain.com

2. On the loghost, you must specify that it is to accept the incoming stream
from the remote sensor. Again in Linux, this simply requires the -r switch when
we fire off the daemon at boot.

Now...	within snort.conf you include:

output alert_syslog: LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT  ( or whatever you choose to log )

Now I usually fire off syslogd locally first to make sure it is logging
properly then I redirect it to the remote loghost with the /etc/syslog.conf mod
I show above.

heheh... but you can't do that... cause you have no local syslog : (

So... what you need it the equiv of the syslog.conf file. Do you have?

Lets go from there.

John

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 12:23:34 -0600, Frank Knobbe said:

John Kiehnle <john at ...1477...> http://www.mtspokane.net