[Snort-users] Possible Queso Fingerprint attempt?

Ookhoi ookhoi at ...1580...
Thu Mar 15 06:43:01 EST 2001

Hi Aaron,

> We have noticed something very much the same. The offending Possible
> Queso Fingerprint was coming from a linux org in Virginia. Now we know
> this particular system has not been compromised but every time one of
> our users get mail from their list snort sees it at a Possible Queso
> Fingerprint.
>
> Kind of a drag since they tend to send 50 to 100 messages to the list
> members a day and logging that and checking up on it sucks.
>
> Let me know if you find a solution and I will pass it on to the system I am
> talking about.

I found out this is a bug in snort and a know one too. Dunno what a
solution is, sorry. The reason a connect from a linux server triggers
the Queso Fingerprint Attempt rule is that linux has a feature called
ecn. Read more about it on http://www.sans.org/y2k/ecn.htm

	Ookhoi

[cut]