[Snort-users] Re: Syslog and Full Alerting

John Kiehnle john at ...1477...
Mon Mar 12 17:57:07 EST 2001

<<< UPDATE >>>

If we traverse back a few weeks, Jed pointed out to me I this fine group, that
although this may generate copious output, It overrode my snort.conf. and
logging to my database stopped. A major downside to say the least. Needless to
say at this point... although snort doesn't complain, It is not the preferred
way to handle what I was trying to do. Now I try not to override my config
file. : )

Thanks guys, sometimes I feel so new.

John

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:04:19 -0800, Dan Zerkle said:

> John_Delisle at ...1523... wrote:
>  > > Is it possible to use syslog and
>  > > full alterting at the same time?
>
>  Marty writes:
>  > Try using the -l option to specify a
>  > logging directory and let us know
>  > if that works.  Additionally, make sure
>  > you're not specifying any
>  > alerting options on the command line,
>  > specify them in the config file.
>

>  Bob Staaf wrote:
>
>  > >      Can you use "-s" and "-A full" together
>  > > on the same command line?
>
>  Marty wrote:
>  > No, you can't do this.  Snort could probably
>  > be modified to do this, but
>  > the proper way to do it is through the config file.
>
>  I (probably) modified snort to do this, and gave the new code to
>  John.
>
>  I haven't tested it at all, but John reports that it "works
>  great" for him.
>
>  Is this something I should submit?  It's really quite trivial,
>  and at least two people seem to want the feature.
>
>  -Dan

John Kiehnle

--- CHAOS -Where Great Dreams Begin ---

Befor a great vision can become reality there may be difficulty. Befor a person
begins a great endeavor, they may encounter chaos.

As a new plant breaks the ground with great difficulty, foreshadowing the huge
tree, so must we sometimes push against difficulty in bringing forth our
dreams.

"Out of Chaos, Brilliant Stars are Born."

I-Ching Hexagram #3