[Snort-users] packet loss statistics?

Kevin.Brown at ...1022... Kevin.Brown at ...1022...
Mon Mar 12 16:11:01 EST 2001

If I recall correctly from previous emails that I have seen linux is not able
to display statistics regarding the number of packets that it just drops,
unlike say FreeBSD or SunOS.  My boss for reasons of his own wants to stick
with linux on the sensors, so I am curious if this short-coming in linux is a
kernel issue or some other program.  If it is a kernel issue is it
solved/implemented in the new 2.4.x kernel?

Having these statistics would help me gauge the performance of the sensors in
seeing if they are keeping up with the traffic load that we have here on
campus.