[Snort-users] [Fwd: Snort on a switched network ?]

Brian Little winzig at ...530...
Mon Mar 12 08:22:32 EST 2001

Typically, you won't be able to view all of the network traffic on any
given port of a Switch.  Unless, the port that you are connected to is
enabled as a monitoring port. Hence the name Switch. The switch keeps an
ARP table of all of the hosts that are attached directly to it on the
wire.  It then will only pass/switch packets to it's hosts that it is
responsilble for.

This is a crude explanation but hopefully it helps.

--Brian

--
Regards,
Brian Little