[Snort-users] Promiscuous Mode

Sten (s10) sten at ...6...
Tue Mar 6 18:25:55 EST 2001

Bob,

I have seen the same thing on some of my machines.
The hardware is different, the software is not.

I suspect some networkcards to be the problem.
I changed the startup script:

   daemon /usr/local/sbin/snort -t ......and so on......
   /sbin/ifconfig eth0 promisc

Snort is quite happy with this workaround ;-)

grtz,
sten

Bob Staaf wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>      Newbie here with a couple of questions.  I just installed Snort 1.7
> from rpm on a Red Hat 6.2 box.  It has dual nics and I want to run snort on
> eth1.  I installed libpcap via libpcap-0.4-19.i386.rpm from Red Hat.  I went
> into /etc/rc.d/init.d/snortd and changed the Interface to eth1 and went into
> /etc/snort/snort.conf and changed the IP address to reflect the address on
> eth1.  When I start snort it still tries to initialize eth0.  I can force it
> with -i but, it won't go into promiscuous mode.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob Staaf
> Southern Web Services
> Orlando, Fl

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so
ingenious