[Snort-users] Logging to tcpdump file and d/b

roman at ...438... roman at ...438...
Mon Mar 5 10:12:37 EST 2001

(I have not confirmed at the source level, but I suspect the following
may be happening)

TCPDump correctly stores the timestamp of a packet.  However,
the timestamp generated by the DB-plug-in is actually not
the absolute time that the packet was read off the wire.  Rather
this timestamp reflects when Snort detected/received it.  When
Snort is used to read the packets directly off the wire, these two
times are potentially off by only several milliseconds.  However,
when packets are replayed, the latency between the packets being
on the wire and being read by Snort can be significantly longer.
Thus, as slaves to the underlying database, analysis tools may
be providing skewed results on alert arrival time.

cheers,
Roman