[Snort-users] Snort on PPP

John Berkers berjo at ...827...
Sat Mar 3 22:30:53 EST 2001

I am using Snort 1.7, but when I start it manually (to make sure that
it's working) with the  following command line:

	snort -Afull -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i ppp0

I get the following message:

        --== Initializing Snort ==--

Initializing Network Interface ppp0

snort cannot handle data link type 101
Exiting...

it then carries on about it packet stats before returning to the
command line.

If I start it as a daemon (using /etc/rc.d/init.d/snortd start) it
reports as starting OK, but immediately when I do a snortd status I
get this message:

snort dead but subsys locked

Any help would be appreciated.

John.