[Snort-users] running win32 snort as a service on W2K

Burleson, Lee (IA) Lee.Burleson at ...1358...
Fri Mar 2 14:38:57 EST 2001

Steve -

Win32 Snort 1.7 does not have the hooks in it to be a service.  You will
need to run it under srvany (which does have the service hooks in it).  See
the Resource Kit docs on that.

The Service Control Manager is trying to call the .exe with a "Start
Service" command, but snort.exe has no such function.  srvany serves as a
wrapper to standard .exes to accept the service calls and pass them off as
standard execute win32 calls to the app.

Hope that helps.

- Lee

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Pruchniewski [mailto:Steve.Pruchniewski at ...1470...]
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2001 12:45 PM
To: 'snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: [Snort-users] running win32 snort as a service on W2K

I have been trying to run Snort 1.7 on W2K as a service with out much luck.
It's installed as a service and I have configured the start parameters in
the gui. When ever I try to start the service I get the error:

1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a
timely fashion.

Has anyone else ever ran into this?

Thanks in advance,
Steven Pruchniewski