[Snort-users] Tcpdump, alerts and portscans

Martin Roesch roesch at ...1935...
Mon Jun 25 18:35:52 EDT 2001

Look at the spo_unified plugin, that may have some of the answers you're
looking for.  Pretty soon (ver 1.8) you'll have a binary definition file
for Snort logs and alerts that allow you to move the information for
portscans around more easily for importation into something like
ACID/external logging systems.

I'll explain more in depth when I get a little free time (or when 1.8
ships).

    -Marty

Jason Lewis wrote:

> Actually that is what I want to do.
>
> I am the middle of writing a paper on configuring multiple sensors with a
> central console box.  The sensors are logging in tcpdump format and the
> master console pulls that info from the sensors and replays it through
> snort.  The master console is running ACID and all the sensor data is stored
> in the db.  This removes any extra load on the sensors and the master
> console is dedicated to crunching data.
>
> I have successfully done the replay but the portscan info isn't showing up.
> It isn't that important to me, but I know I will get questions.  So, I am
> looking for an alternative way of getting portscan info into ACID.  I don't
> like the other methods of consolidating sensor data.  I think tcpdump is the
> way to go, the portscan stuff is a detail.
>
> I can't believe I am the first to have this problem.
>
> Jason Lewis
> http://www.packetnexus.com
> It's not secure "Because they told me it was secure".
> The people at the other end of the link know less
> about security than you do. And that's scary.

Martin Roesch
roesch at ...1935...