[Snort-users] Newbie: Bot Detection Rule

Vitaly Osipov vosipov at ...2096...
Fri Jun 22 04:15:03 EDT 2001

Brian Caswell wrote:

> George Yobst wrote:
> > I was just reading this article about how Gibson Research
> > was knocked off the net ( http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm ).
> > Near the end of the article was a section on detecting these
> > bots.  As a new snort user, I can probably RTM and create
> > some rules that create an alert for ports 6667 and 113,
> > but how do I test it?  -George
>
> heh.
>
> oooooh a spy bot.  WOW!!!  You could write your own spy bot in some
> super leet language like TCL or something.  Mad leet yo.
>
> Then you too can *STOP* those *EVIL* hackers!!!!
>
> Am I the only person that is tired of hearing about how Steve Gibson
> is the greatest anti-hacker in the world?

nope, but seems that you're the only one who's over-reacting :) btw,
Bruce Schneider has a very nice article about GRC in his newsletter -

http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-0106.html#6

and regarding rules - i never understood what's the use of logging all
packets going to unusual ports etc. So let's say, I've received a UDP
packet to port 666 - what am I supposed to do? Complain? (ever heard
about spoofing - especially if it's UDP?). That's why i like snort DB
logging - the only thing I can do is to log all that garbage to a
database to dig it sometimes if something really nasty starts...

> alert tcp any any -> any 6667 (msg:"Evil HACKERS!!! stop the evil
> HACKERS!!!";)
> alert udp any any -> any 666 (msg:"We are under *ATTACK* by UDP
> PACKETS!!!";)
> alert icmp any any -> any any (msg:"DoS!!!  DoS!!!  We are under
> attack by DoS!!!";)

heh, 3ViL L337 u :) don't be so bad to us lamers :)))

regards,
W.