[Snort-users] Libnet & 'resp'

Brent Kearney brent at ...2359...
Wed Jun 20 18:55:10 EDT 2001

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 03:35:09PM -0700, Brent Kearney wrote:

> Thanks for your prompt answer.  This is a bit difficult, as there is
> no compiler on this box.  I tried compiling it on a different machine
> (after installing libpcap, etc), but I'm having some troubles; the
> "configure" script automatically selects 'gcc'.  How do I choose Sun's
> 'cc' instead?

Sorry.  I realize that my comments are a bit sparse.  gcc bails like this:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.   -DBSD_COMP -I/opt/libpcap/include -I/usr/include  -g -O2 -Wall  -DENABLE_RESPONSE -DLIBNET_BIG_ENDIAN -c snort.c
snort.c: In function `ErrorMessage':
snort.c:2181: `__builtin_va_alist' undeclared (first use in this function)
snort.c:2181: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
snort.c:2181: for each function it appears in.)
snort.c:2179: warning: `ap' might be used uninitialized in this function
snort.c: In function `LogMessage':
snort.c:2209: `__builtin_va_alist' undeclared (first use in this function)
snort.c:2207: warning: `ap' might be used uninitialized in this function
snort.c: In function `FatalError':
snort.c:2239: `__builtin_va_alist' undeclared (first use in this function)
snort.c:2237: warning: `ap' might be used uninitialized in this function
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `snort.o'

Am I missing an important header file or something?

Though maybe sticking with gcc is a good plan, for this program;
changing the CC: line in the Makefile to 'cc' (from 'gcc') produces
piles of errors with virtually every header file, then bails with a:
fatal: too many errors
*** Error code 2

Thanks again,

Brent