[Snort-users] odd output plugin behavior?

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Tue Jun 19 14:45:09 EDT 2001

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Kiira Triea wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something simple here but I want an output that will
> write to a logfile so that my Logchecker can email cheery tales
> of nefarious s'kddies but I also want my alerts going into my
> posgresql DB.

Yep.  It's one of the "Should be in the FAQ" questions.  :)  Don't worry--It
bit me too!

> So I did this in snort.conf as per the example:
>
> ruletype redalert
>  {
>    type alert
>    output alert_syslog: LOG_LOCAL2
>    output database: alert, postgresql, user=user dbname=snort password=password
>  }

Go into your local.rules and make sure you have something like:

 redalert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"REDRUM REDRUM"; content:"redalerttest")

Then just do a telnet and type 'redalerttest'.  Presto, alerts to both.

Hope this helps!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy